We used a centuries-old formula from The Old Farmer’s Almanac to find out what kind of weather this winter has in store. Having trouble viewing this email? [View this email on the web.]( [Old Farmer's Almanac Club]( [Winter Weather]( Weather lore holds that as the day lengthens, so the cold strengthens. This winter is looking to follow this pattern, with colder than normal winter temperatures expected throughout much of the U.S. Much of the South can anticipate cold, wet weather, while cold, snowy days are likely ahead for much of the Northeast Corridor and the Heartland. But The Old Farmer’s Almanac predicts a milder than normal winter for some regions of the country.
[The Old Farmer's Almanac Club](
Dear Winter Wonderlanders, This year, winter officially begins on December 21 at 10:59 a.m. EDT, when the Sun reaches its greatest declination south of the celestial equator. The days around the 21st may be the shortest and darkest of the year, but this means only that we’ll see more and more sunlight until the vernal equinox on March 20 at 11:33 a.m. EDT. This winter’s forecast calls for a “Season of Shivers”—colder than normal temperatures in much of the country. In fact, this winter could be one of the longest and coldest we’ve seen in a while. With the coming of the cold will come lots of snow in New England, through the Ohio Valley, in northern parts of the Deep South, and in southeast New Mexico. Folks who live in eastern Montana southward through the western halves of the Dakotas and into northeastern Colorado can look forward to above-average snowfall. Watch for several storms throughout the winter. Temperatures will be relatively normal, but keep that snow shovel handy! Most western areas will stay on the dry side, but still bone-chillingly cold—except for the Pacific Coast and parts of the Southwest. [December Days](
December is named for decem, the 10th month of the year in the early Roman calendar. Now our 12th month, of course, December marks the end of autumn and the beginning of winter. While most regions of the country will experience colder-than-average temperatures across much of the continental U.S. except for the Pacific Northwest (an expected 1 degree above average) The Old Farmer’s Almanac is predicting that southern parts of Alaska will see an average temperature of 39 degrees—that’s 8 degrees above normal! December will also be slightly wetter across most of Florida, the Southeast, Deep South, Texas and Oklahoma, and the Pacific Southwest, with precipitation above average; parts of the Northeast, Upper Midwest, Pacific Northwest, Alaska and Hawaii can expect less precipitation than average.
[Old Farmer's Almanac Club]( [January Cold Snap](
The Roman god Janus is often depicted with two faces: one looking into the past, the other into the future. This year, much of the country can expect January temperatures to be around 5 degrees colder than normal, with temperatures in the Heartland averaging 9 degrees below normal. The exceptions are Hawaii, which is expecting temperatures 7-12 degrees higher than usual, and the Pacific Southwest, where the predicted temperature will be 3 degrees higher than normal in the southern region. As for precipitation, only Alaska, the High Plains, and Texas and Oklahoma can expect it to be above average. The rest of the country can anticipate lower than average precipitation, but it’s still going to be cold!
With its name coming from the Latin februa, “to cleanse,” February was traditionally host to the Roman Februalia, a festival of purification and atonement. This month, temperatures are predicted to be slightly warmer than usual throughout the country, with the exceptions of Florida and the Desert Southwest, which are expected to be slightly cooler or average. Most regions can expect temperatures to be 2 to 3 degrees above normal. In the Heartland and Upper Midwest, temperatures could rise 4 to 5 degrees above normal; in southern Alaska, the average temperature is predicted to be 38 degrees—about 7 degrees warmer than normal. Precipitation varies widely, with six regions getting more than usual, eight regions less, and the remaining four forecast to receive normal rainfall. [NEW FOR 2022 AND SHIPPING NOW!
Get 49% off Charter Membership in the Old Farmer’s Almanac Club!]( [Old Farmer's Almanac Club]( Get Your Special Pass—Access to the World's Most Beloved Almanac! [Save 49% when you claim your Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership—become a Charter Member today!]( [Yes! Sign Me Up Now!]( [How We Predict the Weather](
The Old Farmer’s Almanac—America’s oldest and most popular Almanac—uses a unique, age-old formula that’s traditionally 80% accurate. Our weather forecasting methodology stems from a secret formula that was devised by our founder, Robert B. Thomas, in 1792. Thomas believed that weather on Earth was influenced by sunspots, which are magnetic storms on the surface of the Sun. Notes about his formula are locked in a black box in our offices in Dublin, New Hampshire. Over the years, we have refined and enhanced this formula with state-of-the-art technology and modern scientific calculations. Last year, our overall accuracy rate in forecasting the direction of temperature change from normal for the winter was 88.9%. If you want more specific winter weather predictions—including when to expect snow, rain, and sunny skies—and much more useful information, wit, and wisdom, you can get all of it plus a bundle of BONUSES with an [Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership](! With an [Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership](, you’ll get the traditional 2022 edition of the Almanac with its classic corner hole, the full-color monthly EXTRA! digital magazine with articles and other content not found in the print edition, plus a bundle of bonuses where you’ll not only learn more about weather expectations for each month of the year but also benefit from much more information on a range of useful topics. With an [Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership](, you’ll learn more about:
- How accurate our forecast was last winter
- Sunrise and sunset every day of the year
- How much rain or snow you can expect this winter
- Why January’s full Moon is called the Wolf Moon You’ll also get updates to our weather predictions in our monthly Almanac EXTRA!—a treasure trove of digital updates and Almanac content not found in the printed edition. [NEW FOR 2022 AND SHIPPING NOW!
Get 49% off Charter Membership in the Old Farmer’s Almanac Club!]( [Old Farmer's Almanac Club]( Get Your Special Pass—Access to the World's Most Beloved Almanac! [Save 49% when you claim your Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership—become a Charter Member today!]( [Yes! Sign Me Up Now!]( [NEW FOR 2022!](
[Get full access to everything under the Sun, including the Moon, weather, vegetable and flower gardening, folklore, nature, home remedies, and more—with your Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership!](
This exciting club is designed especially for you—and it’s packed with articles, advice, best days, and fun facts! Your [Charter Membership]( gives you all the elements of a true almanac—a “calendar of the heavens” and a “time capsule of the year” for 2022, plus some fantastic bonuses when you join today. More about those bonuses in a minute. Since 1792—in fact, every day since!—The Old Farmer’s Almanac has been trusted and enjoyed by folks from all walks of life: People who grow their own food depend on the planting dates; home cooks, gardeners, and folks hungry for something quick and delicious love the recipes; just about everybody checks on the Moon phases and sunrise and set times … as well as the weather forecasts … to know what to expect on any given day, week, month, or season. With your [Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership](, you’ll have content that is both useful and humorous. You’ll discover quirky facts, timeless adages and advice, amusing quotes and profound proverbs, contests, anecdotes and pleasantries, best days to do things (from fishing to weaning from planting to setting eggs, for example), and so much more! [NEW FOR 2022!
Get 49% off Charter Membership in the Old Farmer's Almanac Club!]( [Old Farmer's Almanac Club]( [Get Your Special Pass—Access to the World's Most Beloved Almanac!]( [Save 49% when you claim your Old Farmer's Almanac Club Charter Membership—become a Charter Member today!]( [Yes! Sign Me Up!]( People always ask how and why our Almanac has lasted—and continues to be a best seller. The answer is simple: We stay true to the original mission of founder Robert B. Thomas, who declared in an early edition, “Our main endeavour is to be useful, with a pleasant degree of humor.” We believe that, especially in today’s trying times, finding humor and enjoyment in daily life can be uplifting, and we hope you like our light-hearted fun and find the joy in chuckling at our witty words. This will make you smile, too: Every edition of The Old Farmer’s Almanac is fresh, new, and designed to make the new year one of the best ever. How do we do that? With entertaining and informative articles. With your [Charter Membership](, you’ll be able to read about:
- Hot trends for 2022: Forecasts, facts, and fascinating ideas that define our life and times, including the future of farming, a new farming buzzword to add to your vocabulary, tech tools for farmers, new veggie varieties to watch for, and more!
- Small-Space Gardening: Hang a planter, get a harvest.
- Going Natural: Some gardeners are walking on the rewilding side.
- Healthy Eating: More meat-free alternatives, restaurant-level food at home, and where to find a quick (and healthy!) bite on the road.
- Flavor Craving: Try familiar flavors in new, innovative ways.
- Pampered Pets: Pet-size Murphy beds, hands-free leashes, tastier pet food.
- And more—almost 300 pages of riveting content! Plus, charts, maps, and photos bring it all to life for you—making every article and every table easy to understand and follow. But that’s just the beginning! Here’s just some of what else you’ll discover in the 2022 Almanac:
- Your Health Outlook: Food as medicine, adaptable sleepwear, faster healing.
- Remains to Be Seen: People have been preserving pets, wild animals—even other people—for millennia. Read about the ones still on display and where you can see them.
- The Tooth, the Whole Tooth, and Nothing But the Tooth: History, superstitions, myths, facts, and some of the strangest toothache cures we’ve ever heard.
- Beyond the Pumpkin Patch: Check out the Heirloom Hall of Fame for inspiration to plant squash and pumpkins that are anything but ordinary.
- The Art and Science of Animal Tracking: Get closer to nature when you learn to read the signs our wild friends leave behind.
- Nature’s Signs Mean Fish on Lines: Whatever the season, there are telltale signs you can look for to find the perfect fishing spot.
- The Star-Spangled School Project: Meet the industrious student who designed our current American flag.
- Beyond the Boards: Get a look behind the scenes of the legendary Canada-Soviet hockey summit, and find out how boxing factored into the competition on ice.
- Fine-Tune Your Family Tree: 10 simple tips for digging down deep to reach all of your roots!
- What, the Hail?: Track the formation and destructive power of these balls of ice that can be as small as a BB or bigger than a softball.
- All this and too much more to mention for nearly 300 pages of riveting content! [NEW FOR 2022!
Get 49% off Charter Membership in the Old Farmer's Almanac Club!]( [Old Farmer's Almanac Club]( [Get Your Special Pass—Access to the World's Most Beloved Almanac!]( [Save 49% when you claim your Old Farmer's Almanac Club Charter Membership—become a Charter Member today!]( [Yes! Sign Me Up!]( [An Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership will deliver exciting rewards for you—and for a special rate right now, to all new Charter Members](.
When you join today, you’ll ensure that you get the latest details about Almanac events and forecasts—and you’ll enjoy all these benefits: - Your best garden ever—Almanac gardening advice, planting dates, time-saving tips, and detailed guidance from experts will get you growing like never before.
- You’ll know in advance about every important astronomical event in 2022—when they’re happening, where in the sky, and the details and delights of each one.
- You’ll have access to the world’s best source of Almanac content—from astronomy and weather to anniversaries and milestone dates; from important (and little known) holidays and religious events to traditional days in calendar folklore.
- You’ll save time and money when you follow all the practical advice and tips that we deliver to you about everything from gardening to food preparation and cooking.
- You’ll be a weather expert in your family and circle of friends—no one else you know will have the detailed knowledge about forecasting and weather that you’ll have . . . and for every region of the country! How can you not consider becoming an [Old Farmer’s Almanac Charter Member](?
[What you’ll get with an Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership](.
When you claim your Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership today, your Charter membership will include: - The Old Farmer’s Almanac: 2022 Classic Paperback Edition—This version of the Almanac comes with a pre-drilled hole in the corner so you can hang it for easy access in your kitchen or potting shed. It’s packed with everything you’ve come to expect in the world’s premier Almanac.
- The Old Farmer's Almanac: 2022 Digital Edition—Everything you love about the Almanac, and then some. It’s portable and printable! Need to check the tides while you’re on the road? It's all just a click away!
- The Old Farmer's Almanac: Your Local Almanac—Get detailed information about where you live—specific sunrise/sunset times, moonrise/moonset times, and more from our calendar of the heavens.
- The Old Farmer’s Almanac 2022 Weather Wall Calendar—Enjoy stunning photography of spectacular weather around the world month after month.
- The Old Farmer’s Almanac 1822 Replica Digest—A printed version will be shipped to you with your order. Take a trip down memory lane and see what one of our early Almanacs looked like! It’s a time capsule of life 200 years ago!
- The Old Farmer’s Almanac 1922 Replica Digest—A printed version will be shipped to you with your order. Another classic Almanac, this takes you back a century: Compare the content then and now!
- The Old Farmer’s Almanac EXTRA!—A treasure trove of digital updates and Almanac content not found in the printed edition.
- BONUS: Complete access to our EXTRA! library, with 60+ digital issues at your fingertips any time!
- BONUS: The Old Farmer's Almanac 2022 Country Wall Calendar—If you love the country, you'll feel right at home with these stunning photographs from top photographers. And all of this is available to you—right now—when you claim your [Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership](. What are you waiting for? This Charter Membership offer is in effect for you right now! No other Almanac has so many fun and fascinating facts, timely and accurate events and predictions, and topical and useful articles all in one place for your easy access and use—and covering more regions of North America than any other almanac or resource! [NEW FOR 2022!
Get 49% off Charter Membership in the Old Farmer's Almanac Club!]( [Old Farmer's Almanac Club]( [Get Your Special Pass—Access to the World's Most Beloved Almanac!]( [Save 49% when you claim your Old Farmer's Almanac Club Charter Membership—become a Charter Member today!]( [Yes! Sign Me Up!]( [Why not join right now](?
Gardeners, weather and sky watchers, and nature lovers everywhere have been enjoying The Old Farmer’s Almanac for generations, and now it’s easier than ever for YOU to experience it all with an [Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership](. When we created this new club for folks like you, we wanted to make it easy to use, easy to order, and packed with content and value—that’s why we named it the “Old Farmer's Almanac Club”! The Almanac is the ultimate resource for gardening, astronomy, folklore, nature, and more, and now it can be all yours with your [Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Membership](. Special Offer is Now in Effect — 49% Discount! When you respond today, you’ll be among a select group of Almanac friends to take advantage of this special Charter Membership offer. Activate your Charter Membership in The Old Farmer’s Almanac Club today, and you’ll get access to unique Almanac content that you can’t find anywhere else! Join other weather and astronomy watchers, gardeners, nature and food lovers, and trivia fans—for 49% off when you respond today! This is a [limited-time offer that you should take advantage of right now](. Why not be among the first—gardeners in your neighborhood; weather and astronomy watchers under the Sun; cooks in your community; trivia fans in your circle; nature-lovers in your area—to join us today and benefit from all the valuable Almanac information that you simply cannot get anywhere else? Become an [Old Farmer’s Almanac Club Charter Member]( today—while this special offer lasts! Sincerely, Janice Stillman
Editor, The Old Farmer’s Almanac P.S. You should act today to claim your Charter Membership in the [Old Farmer’s Almanac Club](—including your 2022 issue of the Almanac …and all the other great publications and calendars, too! [NEW FOR 2022!
Get 49% off Charter Membership in the Old Farmer's Almanac Club!]( [Old Farmer's Almanac Club]( [Get Your Special Pass—Access to the World's Most Beloved Almanac!]( [Save 49% when you claim your Old Farmer's Almanac Club Charter Membership—become a Charter Member today!]( [Yes! Sign Me Up!]( We reserve the right to substitute items based on availability. Are you on social? Enjoy more Almanac wit & wisdom! [Facebook]( [Instagram]( [YouTube]( [Pinterest]( [Twitter](
[Visit Almanac.com]( [Shop Our Store]( You received this email because you signed for updates from The Old Farmer's Almanac.
If you do not wish to receive our regular e-mail newsletter in the future,
please [click here to manage preferences](. *Please do not reply to this e-mail* © 2021 Yankee Publishing Inc. An Employee-Owned Company
1121 Main Street | P.O. Box 520 | Dublin, NH 03444
[Contact Us]( [View web version](